Mandrake (one of the enlightenment developers) runs 3 video cards (all
the same I think) and has a wrap around type of setup (check out
http://www.mandrake.net/ for some recent office pictures).  But when I
was investigating it before we got the Matrox G450 card, the docs said
you can use different video cards.  Basically it is a new X server for
each card.

So with that in mind, you can run X on one monitor/video card, and a
shell on another.  Or you can run 1 X session across both with
Xinerama support (I think there is another way - x2x?).  In the matrox
forums, someone mentioned they were playing Quake in one monitor,
while the other monitor was open to the normal window manager so they
can see when mail comes in, etc.  :)

I'm curious if you can run 1 window manager on one monitor, and a
different window manager on the other.  I would be hell on the
resources, but it might be a fun attempt.

The Matrox dual headed cards are pretty easy to set up, but it does
require agpgart support in the kernel (either insmod it or
re-compile), plus DRI support in the kernel (I think this is
optional), and it requires X4.  You tell X that display 0 uses this
card and this monitor, and display 1 uses the other.  Then you specify
where you want each display in relation to the other -- 0 left of 1,
or 1 on top of 0, etc. (exact terminology varies :)

-Rob