Rob wrote,
>Anyone ever had any problems with .png images on the euglug.org
>website?  I know some browsers have weird png behavior, and even
>sometimes start up quicktime to load png images.  Some of the lines
>that are drawn, and the transparent images used for placement are
>pngs.  I'd have for quicktime to load up just b/c I have a transparent
>png image in there.

Looks fine under Netscape 4.77 on Linux.

But I suspect the only reason it works is because the "transparent" PNG has
a white background, which is the same color as the white page background.
Netscape doesn't support transparency at all for PNGs.

Generally speaking, PNG transparency support in currently popular browsers
sucks rocks...it's broken in Internet Explorer, and non-existant in Netscape.
Until recently the Mac version of Internet Explorer didn't support PNGs at
all, transparent or otherwise.  See http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/pngapbr.html
for details.

Fortunately the situation is improving...there's good PNG transparency
support in Mozilla (and Netscape 6) and the latest Mac version of IE, and
many less-common browsers.  But until good PNG support is more widespread,
the only graphic format that offers reliable transparency across a wide
variety of browsers is GIF.

               - Neil Parker, [EMAIL PROTECTED]