Dennis,
    As far as other mailorder shops, try edgemicro.com (they are in springfield but
do not have a shop) and outpost.com. Both have been good for service and speed for
me. As for advice on a win2k box, what do you want it to do? Just an office type
box(word/excel/internet/email) or are you looking to do number crunching? Are you
wainting to play games? Need more details.

Garl
"Dennis J. Eberl" wrote:

> Thanks, Gary and (everyone else :). I've built plenty of clones so I can do
> it myself (unless you mean hand solder surface mount chips to a
> Mother#$%@!ngboard :^o  uch! ). PC Parts Express seems to be getting the
> most votes. Are there any mail order sources anyone can suggest. I might
> just go piece-by-piece to pricewatch.com (and certainly would if this were
> to be a Linux box), but I need advice on putting together a cheap but
> adequate Windows 2000 box. Thanks.
>
> Dennis and, pal, Blinky Foobar, ~:>(X){, His Mark
>
> > From: "Garl R. Grigsby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:47:41 -0700
> > To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > Subject: [EUG-LUG:2103] Re: Is CodeRed affecting Linux or FreeBSDmachines?
> >
> > I would recommend either building it your self, or hitting pcpartsxpress in
> > Springfield. They seem to be at least semi honest. I would also recommend
> > going
> > with an AMD chip. You will get a faster chip for less money. I have even been
> > known
> > to put machines together for people for a small fee.......
> >
> > "Dennis J. Eberl" wrote:
> <snip>
> >>
> >> Dennis, I need to build a box for Windows 2000 for school. (I am currently
> >> running it on a dual processor (200 MHz Pentium Pro x 2) IBM Intellistation
> >> Z Pro, but it has a PCI-to-PCI bridge chip that won't "play" under W2K . . .
> >> so I'm using an ISA bus 4-bit video card!) Can you recommend a local source
> >> for 500 MHz Pentium III (or above), Motherboard, 256 to 512 MB RAM, 20 to 40
> >> GB HD, std 3.5" floppy, "nothing fancy" CD-ROM drive, case, and power
> >> supply? I have a video card, NIC, and sound card.
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> Dennis Eberl, a.k.a., ~:>(X){
> <snip>

Garl R. Grigsby
Senior Customer Applications Engineering - Analysis Team
Structural Dynamics Research Corporation      Phone: (800)242-7372
TAO Americas Support Center                   FAX: (541)342-8277
1750 Willow Creek Circle                      Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Eugene, OR 97402                              Internet:  http://www.sdrc.com
-FEA makes a good engineer great, and a poor engineer dangerous-