On Mon, Dec 10, 2001 at 12:06:58PM -0800, Mark Bigler wrote:
> Justin,
>
> Statements beyond "I don't like the RPM system," that add something
> like "because each distro has a different incompatible set" or "because
> dependencies are handled so poorly"  would be good.  You can help us to
> hone our sense of what people find odd, madding, stupid, etc., when
> using non-mainstream OS environments day to day.  Maybe there are ways
> around some of these problems that are more generally applicable than
> starting to build a whole new distribution.

IMO, needing a package manager to install the base system is stupid.  Much
easier to just:

# cd / && tar zxpvf base30.tgz && tar zxpvf etc30.tgz

It's fast, one doesn't get screwed out of having a working system because
of package manager mistakes/bugs, and single floppy installation is
possible because there's no package manager bloat.  There's also little
chance of "binary mismatches" when following "unstable" distributions,
since it's all in one "package".

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>