On Tue, Feb 26, 2002 at 05:23:59PM -0800, Dan Robinson wrote:

> > You probably need to set up a printing filter.  Check out
> > http://www.linuxprinting.org/
>
> Okay, they had drivers. Are they the related to filters?

A print filter determines what type of file you are trying to print,
and what needs to be done with the file to create printable output
and sends that to the print system.

> My printer's
> a Canon BJC-240.

This model is supported by gimp-print 4.2.0, and 4.2.1 should
have better support for all Canons, IIRC.

> I found info about BJC-250, but nothing at least
> that I knew how to use, and nothing close to mention of
> "stairstepping" or other problems.

The FreeBSD Handbook has a small script to fix stair stepping.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/printing-troubleshooting.html
Most of the printing info in the handbook would apply to BSD style lpd
systems (the default on Debian?).

> Okay, maybe I'm just killing time, while my sub-conscious mind works
> on more important problems. :)

:)

> > Dunno about linux.   On OpenBSD one can do
> > # wsconsctl -w keyboard.repeat.del1=<somenum>
> > # wsconsctl -w keyboard.repeat.deln=<somenum>
>
> Apparently not available on Debian.

Probably only NetBSD and OpenBSD have this actually.

> > This is my fetchmail alias, for example:
> > fetchmail='test -x /usr/local/bin/procmail && ssh phreke fetchmail
> && /usr/local/bin/fetchmail'
>
> I won't bother asking what it all means.

Well, I'll tell ya anyway ;)

If there's an executable file at /usr/local/bin/fetchmail, then execute
(via ssh) the command 'fetchmail' on host 'phreke'.  Then ecexute
/usr/local/bin/fetchmail.  Using the '&&' instead of ';' to separate
the command stops execution of later commands if the former returns with
an error.

> > However, if I have a script like:
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > fetchmail
> > exit 0
> >
> > That would just execute /usr/local/bin/fetchmail.  Also, if I do
> > $ /usr/local/bin/fetchmail
> > the alias doesn't apply, becaus it wasn't just 'fetchmail'.
>
> Where would such a script be found?

Anywhere, or nowhere.  It's just an example :)  A common place for
scripts that are only used by one user is in ~/bin.

--
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>