Yes, my IP ends in .255 and my netmask is 255.255.252.0

As a test, I plugged my cable modem into my laptop directly, bypassing
my gateway altogether.  It got a new IP that looked normal -
12.225.112.200

I then tested connecting to the server at willamette.net and sure
enough, I could get through on my laptop with the new IP.

Armed with that knowledge, and realizing that maybe the dhcp server
keeps a record of the ethernet adapter MAC address, I switched ed0 and
ed1 (in the sofware) on my gatway.  So what was my ed0 outside NIC is
now my ed0 inside NIC.  The new ethernet card MAC address caused
dhclient to get a new IP address... (I'm guessing, but it worked)

So now I have an IP that ends in .201, and I can reach
willamette.net's network successfully.

Thanks,
Rob

--