Seth Cohn wrote:

> Bob, you live in the middle of nowhere...
> Heck, I don't think the signal will even leave
> your property (grin)
>
> On the other hand, I just installed a wireless
> access point at EFN.  Currently, it's MAC address
> limited, so you need to be authorized to use the
> access... but at some point, once things are more
> setup, we'll probably open it up for more public
> use. (Such as during Linux User Group meetings)
>
> Seth
>
> P.S.  Regarding large scale wireless, I'll be
> setting up some sort of meeting soon with others
> to discuss future plans.

I work at EDX Engineering, now part of Comarco Wireless Technology.
We're about a block
east of EFN's new home. We write CAD software for the wireless planning
industry. We have
a free crippleware evaluation version of our SignalPro software. It's
crippled because
1) it's Win32 (pity me, I have to write Win32 code) 2) it only works in
a one degree square
around Eugene. Now I don't know if this is helpful, most 802.11b systems
aren't planned,
they're just sort of hit and miss. However it does come with building
data for downtown Eugene
and a one degree terrain square for the area. Maybe it would be helpful
for LOS calculations
at least. FYI.

I just got a Linksys WPC11 and put it on my Mandrake 8.1 laptop. The
module is obviously
getting loaded because it sets up a link and the pretty red light stays
on. But a quick
ifconfig doesn't show the device being set up, and if I go through
Mandrake's network config
I can't find the wlan module in the big list of real drivers. I could
set it up by hand
I'm sure, but I don't want to break whatever Mandrake is doing in it's
config. Ideas?

                                                                J. Toman