Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 21:03:04 -0700
From: Ellen O'Shea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [Lane-Greens]A call for help!

Friends,

I need your help with something very important.  I know that you
support the people of Mexico Central and South America in their fight
against the FTAA.  I know that you know other people who also support
these people.

I have been working with a group of Portlanders to try to build and
transport 100,s of computer to Quinto, Ecaudor just in time for the
FTAA talks.   The group I am working with has been building and would
like to ship 100 computers to San Francisco where they will then be
combined with another 100 to 200 computers and shipped to South
America just in time for the Anti-FTAA protests.  This will allow
people there to have access to the internet and communicate with the
world about what is happening with the FTAA.

On October 31st, 2002, the seventh summit of the Free Trade Area of
the Americas will take place in Quito, Ecuador, home turf for what
are perhaps the strongest social movements in the Americas.

We have used all our funds to buy parts for donated computers.  We do
not have the funds to ship the computers to San Francisco.  A Ryder
Truck will cost us $400 not including the gas.  Do you know anyone
who can donate some money to this project in a hurry, or come up with
a truck?  We need to leave for San Francisco on Tuesday night or
Wednesday morning this week.  Any ideas?

Please let me know what you think.

there is a great story with details about the project on the Portland
Indymedia website about half way down the page.
www.portland.indymedia.org  Below is the story from the site.

Ellen
Computers to South America project update; Help still needed
>From the open publishing newswire: "Working with old equipment
donated by Free Geek, Media and Tech activists in Portland are
assembling, testing, and transporting approximately 100 computers to
San Francisco. There the computers will be combined with 1-200 others
collected from the SF Bay Area, and together shipped down to South
America in time for the upcoming anti-FTAA protests. This is an
exciting project which provides needed computers to activists and
organizers in countries where computers are not so easy to come by as
they are here. The equipment will go to help the people there get
their stories out to the world through the internet, and help them
organize themselves regionally."

"Help is still needed for Monday, and likely Tuesday. . .People will
be at Free Geek, 1731 SE 10th, just south of Hawthorne, from 1pm
until well into the night, and likely again on Tuesday. Any changes
in the schedule will be posted to the newswire. Bring a philips
screwdriver if you have it."

"Within a few short days, this large scale project has come together,
and this shows the strength of the portland community. Thanks to all
the people who are volunteering their time and talent. The effort to
assemble the computers is going very well with 35 systems built and
with Linux installed and ready to go. Some funds for truck rental are
still needed. Additional funds to send one tech person down to help
with technical issues. For more info, or to make a donation, call 503-

768-5001 or email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The project is going quite well. The schedule of when the computers
need to be in SF has moved forward so there is less time to build
machines. However, we still expect to get together 70 or so machines,
with Linux installed, and tested along with monitors.

Help is still needed for Monday, and likely Tuesday. . .People will
be at Free Geek, 1731 SE 10th, just south of Hawthorne, from 1pm
until well into the night, and likely again on Tuesday. Any changes
in the schedule will be posted to the newswire. Bring a philips
screwdriver if you have it.

This is a very important work, which brings computers to media, labor
and environmental activists in countries where such equipment is hard
to come by. Building global solidarity with our brothers and sisters
in the South is crucial in the struggle to stop corporate domination
on the global scope. Many people in these countries are strongly
resisting, and without nearly the tools we have here. It is an honour
to be able to offer this help. Free Geek has been instrumental in
making his project possible by donating the components to build the
machines from, as well as the physical space.

Within a few short days, this large scale project has come together,
and this shows the strength of the portland community. Thanks to all
the people who are volunteering their time and talent. The effort to
assemble the computers is going very well with 35 systems built and
with Linux installed and ready to go. Some funds for truck rental are
still needed. Additional funds to send one tech person down to help
with technical issues. For more info, or to make a donation, call 503-
768-5001 or email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Previous article
http://portland.indymedia.org:8081/front.php3?article_id=20361&group=w
ebcast

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Margaret Mead