I can take a piece of php code, with little to no documentation beyond the code
itself, and see quickly what it does, change it to suit, and test it.

I can't do that with perl, as it's far harder to test changes, and it's not
nearly as readable in most cases.

Yes, while it's doable in Python and other languages such as Java or C, the
ease of code/change/test isn't quite as 'there'

In other words:  The Apache/PHP/MySQL triumvirate came out for a reason: it
works.  Yes, Apache was trhe easy pick for web server.  Yes, MYSQL might not be
the best SQL but it's 'good enough', and yes, PHP filled a niche... and grew to
fill it.  Nothing else did, and likely won't.  I like PHP... far more than more
other code, FOR HTML.  It's not meant to be the best language for all purposes,
but for HTML inline, it works really well.

Real coders tend not to like PHP.  That's fine.  PHP fits the vast majority of
_users_, who aren't real coders.  I can code.  I don't like coding though.  I'm
the sort who likes to take existing code and bend it to suit me.  In other
words, I'm a patcher.  PHP is great for patchers.