On Thursday 26 September 2002 11:52, Gordon Johnson wrote:
> A few questions about how modules.conf works...

On the assumption that some answer is better than none (since people
can dive in a point out errors), I'll say what I can.

> I'm getting a laptop for linux.  It's a Toshiba Satellite 490CDT.
> PII 233 era.  It has a build in opl3-sa3 sound card.  The card's not
> PNP but rather is configured (lots of memory address, and interrupt,
> and a couple of DMAs) through bios.  I've installed Mandrake 8.2
> (kernel 4.2.18) on it.

Another place to get relevant answers would be the Mandrake list, but
since 9.0 just came out, it might be a bit busy...

> Looking around I found that one method of getting a non-pnp sound
> card would be to add a couple of lines to /etc/modules.conf.  I've
> added...
>
> alias sound-slot-0 opl3sa2
> options opl3sa2 io=0x558 mss_io=0x550 mpu_io=0x330 irq=5 dma=1 dma=0
> options opl3 io=0x388
>
> With these lines - but not without them - the following appears
> toward the tail of dmesg....
>
> op3sa2:  No PnP cards found
> op3sa2:  Search for a card at 0x1368
> op3sa2:  chipset version = 0x5
> op3sa2:  Found OPL3-SA3 (YMF715E or YMF719E)
> op3sa2:  Control I/O port 0x558 not free
> op3sa2:  There was a problem probing one of the ISA PNP cards,
> continuing ..........  the last two lines repeat twice .............
>
> The sound card now works fine.
>
> Questions:
> Does the first line - the alias - prompt the module to look for pnp
> devices?

The 'alias' directive (man modules.conf) just helps in writing generic
modprobe lines, etc.  It causes no actions of itself.  So, the question
remains open: Why didn't op3sa2 look for PnP cards before?  What
happens if you just put in the alias w/o the option lines?  I would
guess the module always does the probe.

> Why did it look for a card at 0x1368?!

It would seem that since you gave specific information on where to find
the card that it wouldn't need to look anywhere else.  But, the module
may be trying to find everything (card) in your laptop that it can
handle or there may be some optional functionality that explains the
probe.  Following the source for things like this (probe code is often
strange) can be like traversing a maze.  But, the source might offer
the address of a maintainer or list where you could find the answer.

> Why did it look for the card at 0x558 three - or perhaps four -
> times?

Here the source code might be more reveling.  Since the port wasn't
free (for whatever reason) the code probably did several retries and,
possibly, finally succeeded  It does seem strange that the port
wouldn't be free initially.

I wish I had better responses for you.