Sean Reifschneider wrote:

> I don't fully understand your objection to making a callable class, as
> that's probably how I'd do it.

I guess I'm just surprised to find something that's simple and
idiomatic in C but doesn't translate to anything equally simple in
Python.

Have you looked at Paul Graham's Accumulator Generator page?  Paul has
an axe to grind; he want to prove that Lisp is the only worthy
language, so it's kind of a rigged example.  But it's still worth
thinking about why some things aren't natural in Python.

        http://www.paulgraham.com/accgen.html

He has more on writing an accumulator generator in Python on this
page.  (It's long.  Search for "Because Python".)

        http://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]