From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:eug-lug-admin@;efn.org]On Behalf Of P
Casper
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2002 5:31 PM
To: Eugene Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: [Eug-lug]What is the value of w/user install

On Fri, 2002-10-25 at 13:40, Master O Planets wrote:
> I am preparing to install mandrake 8.2 without windows as a dual boot OS.
>
> What is the value of using an install, with user, creating a user
partition.
> I'm going to use it.

I'm not sure if I'm grokking what you're trying to ask, here... IF the
question is "What is the value of installing a separate /home partition
for user-specific directories?" then there's a lot of value. Example: I
have reinstalled Mandrake (7.2, then 8.1) 3-4 times in the past 6 months
trying ot get a good install. I've had /home on its own partition each
time, and the only time I've had to backup and recover my user data was
when I had to completely re-do my partitions.

That being said, the voice of experience says, if you're installing a
single desktop, make sure you allow plenty of space for your /
partition; a lot of the programs I've installed didn't want to install
as anything other than root, thus not taking as much user-space as I
intended for them to take!

> Is there a program like Ghost to create partition images?  I know that
Linux
> is far more powerful in this regard.  I just don't want to be reloading
the
> complete OS at every small mistake.

Sure... in fact, AFAIK you can use Ghost to make them if you don't mind
a boot disk to get into DOS to make it work.

Also: Mandrake allows you, during install, the optiion to create an
auto-install disk, which will save the settings from one install for the
next one.That might be what you want for this purpose.

--PC, another newbie