Well, Bob I'm glad you asked.  I run a local dns caching server at my office
to significantly speed up name resolution and thus web browsing for my
workstations.  I also run one on my laptop because on some networks I plug
in to, they don't have a local dns cache.

I'm currently using bind on my office dns server.  dnscache is part of the
djbdns package.  I've installed it on my laptop as a test environment.  I'm
intending to replace bind with djbdns (tinydns or dnscachex) on my work dns
server.

To answer your other questions, No we don't have an intranet here at PA.  We
have some internal webservers that right now are giving me a development bed
to make some web based perl admin tools (ie a nice perl script that parses
smbstatus so I can see current samba connections and locked files, or
another tool that tells me who's logged in to a sql server and if anyone has
a process that is blocking other processes).

But you asked about dns.  I have setup bind to be the master for the
petersen-arne.com locally.  I've setup my null MX record to point to my
internal mail server and www points to webserver.  Without this trying to
connect to www.petersen-arne.com would have resulted in the client trying to
connect to our public ip, which the firewall would have dropped since I have
not setup any rules to DNAT my local clients to my local webserver.
Allowing the clients to connect to the local webserver could have been done
with either the firewall rules, or dns.  I chose dns, however I don't
recommend bind.  Learning how to properly setup a bind configuration and
zone file was annoying, but useful.

I'm also using the dhcp-dns package which is a set of scripts to parse the
dhcp leases file from dhcpd, then pass dynamic additions and deletions to
bind.  This allows me to say 'ping acct1.petersen-arne.com' or just 'ping
acct1' and it will hit the right ip address (almost always).  Note that
dhcp-dns works with bind.  Before replacing bind, I'll have to either find
or write something that will update tinydns/dnscachex with the new hosts.

Back to djbdns and one cool thing about it that works very well for my
laptop.  I have a great working vpn through which I seamlessly connect when
I'm remote.  Whether in the office or out, I use mutt to check my email with
a scripted command: mutt -f imap://cory@mars/inbox.  In the office my local
dns cache resolves mars to the appropriate ip.  Outside the office, mars
normally wouldn't resolve.  This is because my dhcp client receives the near
by dns servers and puts them in /etc/resolv.conf, and they know nothing
about the computer named "mars", nor my 10.x network.  I could and have used
a hosts file, however this does not work with my dhcp clients as their ip
addresses are changed and dns is updated automatically.  The solution?  I
wrote a script to put the ip address of my office dns server in
/etc/resolv.conf after getting an ip address.  While it gave me the
functionality I wanted, it had the unfortunate draw back of all dns lookups
traversing the public internet, then my half t1 then back.  djbdns' dnscache
has a cool feature where one can say, anything for petersen-arne.com ask
this server 10.0.0.x.  Anything else, ask the servers in /etc/resolv.conf.
Bind can probably do this, but here's how to do it in dnscache:
  # cd /service/dnscache/root/servers
  # echo 10.0.0.x>petersen-arne.com
  # echo 10.0.0.x>10.in-addr.arpa
  # svc -t /service/dnscache

Another cool package from the author of djbdns is the daemontools package,
which is required for dnscache.  In it is a service scanner that monitors
and restarts specified services so they are always running and available.
The service scanner is run by inittab, so it is very difficult to kill it,
even if you try really hard.

Cory