Any suggestions on how I can mirror (duplicate onto an identical
drive) my fancy 3 distribution and 8 partition GNU/Linux system?

Would "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb" work? If so, do I have to run
it from a boot floppy so that no partitions are mounted?

Also, it's not exactly what I'm looking for, but I found this
interesting:

http://www.partimage.org/

"Partition Image is a Linux/UNIX utility which saves partitions in
many formats (see below) to an image file. The image file can be
compressed in the GZIP/BZIP2 formats to save disk space, and split
into multiple files to be copied on removable floppies (ZIP for
example), .... The partition can be saved across the network since
version 0.6.0."

Dex