Thanks Bob, interesting link & suggestion, but it came too late -- I read
your message on Mike's computer at Mike's store, and left with an Intel
PRO/100 S NIC.

Now this is so cool - the JPGs in Mozilla pop up like they would be in
cache (but they aren't), and scp is twice(!) as fast as what I had under
win98 with the old NIC for my 70MB download test, and w/o a single error
or collision:

xyz.sql.zip          100% |**************************| 69311 KB    05:31

 - Horst (still with some academic Qs below)

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Bob Miller wrote:

> Here's somebody on the web who had a very similar problem, with a
> similar solution.
>
> http://msgs.securepoint.com/cgi-bin/get/netfilter-0211/37/1.html
>
> I wonder if your cable modem is using a larger MTU than ethernet has,

 Does MTU mean mess(age) transfer unit ?
 Hhm, though largely acadimic now, if I had to multiplex(*?*) my end
users on an about 1GHz bandwidth, larger packets would make sense ((I
assumed multiplexing, or is it truly broadband with each end user having
their own ~0.5MHz bandwidth at a fixed frequency? --the latter
assuring QoS (including for those users that are not using, thus little
overall flexibility))

> and is repacketizing your TCP stream along the way.  That would allow
> it to send back-to-back packets out the Ethernet interface, which
> would be the easiest way to confuse the NIC.  But repacketizing
> IP is evil.
 Hhm, there may be a reason ATT highly recommends a 10/100 NIC although
they *average* delivered bandwidth is much below that...