Alot of switches have a full-duplex light which illuminates when this is
enabled on the attached nic.  For that matter, a lot of nics have a full
duplex light on them.  I usually use 3com 3c905 nics and they have
always defaulted to full duplex mode.  In one instance the card had been
set on a windows machine to half.  I used the vortex (3c905) utility
from this guy on linux to flip the bit back.

Cory