Well for those of you not viewing your mail through a terminal they are
characters that tell the tell the terminal to underline the text.

I had typed: I^H_ to get I_ or an underlined I.  ^H is the backspace
character so It's printing an I, backspacing then printing an underscore
which tells some terminals to underline the character.  However as kbob
pointed out it is better to do ^H_I : _I so if the terminal doesn't support
it, it will supposedly show the letter rather than the underscore.
However I see in some terminals it will print _I rather than an
underlined I.

In vi typing ctrl+h will delete the previous character so I use ctrl+v
to escape it.  Thus I actually type: ^V^H_I to get an underlined I via
vim.

Cory