Maybe interesting to some us.
Sorry for the short notice ............... Horst

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:37:58 -0800
From: Cheri Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: UO Colloquium, Thursday, January 30

Why IPsec is Problematic for Applications other than VPN's

Jonathan Trostle
Security Consultant

ABSTRACT

This talk focuses on the Internet Protocol Security (IPsec) policy mapping
problem: given an outbound packet originated on the local host, how does
the network layer decide if IPsec should be applied to the packet. More
generally, how does one ensure correct mappings between application level
identifiers and network layer identifiers. Although DNSSEC is one tool that
can be applied here, it is neither necessary or sufficient. We describe
some results for new techniques that that can be used for some legacy
applications to partially or completely solve the IPsec policy mapping
problem. We show how the set of current IPsec policy parameters can be
usefully expanded. Finally, we summarize the environments today where IPsec
is being used and discuss which IPsec policy mapping techniques are most
appropriate for these environments.

DATE:   Thursday, January 30, 2003
TIME:   3:30 p.m. talk, refreshments following talk
PLACE:  220 Deschutes Hall (Colloquium Room), University of Oregon

Cheri Smith                     Undergraduate Coordinator
Computer & Information Science  Phone:  (541) 346-1376
1202 University of Oregon       E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Eugene, OR  97403-1202          Fax:  (541) 346-5373

Office Hours:  Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m., 1:00 p.m. -
5:00 p.m.