When I mentioned your program, I meant the one for the joker-one liner,  I
guess I should have pasted it in...
So.. here it is:

#! /usr/bin/perl
#Cory Petkovsek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
$art=" ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø\n";
$delim=" The Famous Joke of the Day One Liner!";
$joke=0;
while(<>) {
    if(m/$delim/)       { print "$art\n"; $joke=1;}
    if(m/^From .+\@.+/) { print "%\n" if ($joke); $joke=0; }
    print $_ if($joke);
    }
print "%\n" if($joke);

This is for posting how to do stuff... so Im not trying to take credit for
your program, but I aslo dont want to post your name/email address if you
down want it on the web....

PS, I have a perl script that does the dos-unix text file conversion, it looks
like:
perl -pi.bak -e '\''s/\r//g;'
yours is:
perl -pi~ -e 's/\r\n/\n/g'
it seems they are quite simular, but not exactly. Im guessing yours makes a
tempfile <origfilename>~, mine does <origfilename>.bak then edits, and does
about the same thing. what are the differences? the output seems the same.
which is better?

I was also thinking of putting your first sample program with the nice line by
line explanation... is that ok? credits?