On Tue, Feb 04, 2003 at 12:06:09PM -0800, Tim Howe wrote:
> I work at an ISP.  People have tried stuff like this.  We laugh.
> Perhaps most ISP employees are much more gullible than we are?  We
> didn't even want to give this info to the Secret Service when they
> wanted it one time.  We only did after we realized they wouldn't be able
> to do anything with it in that particular case.

True, but if you know a name and address, you can usually scare the hell
out of a person..

I found a newbie on IRC whose real name was stored in their whois info and
was getting obnoxious.  There were no chanops handy to remove this guy, so
when regular channel participants told him to act civilly, he asked if
they were going to come knocking on his door if he didn't.

I offered him a link to a map and driving directions to his front door.
It shut him up.  ;)

--
Joseph Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                 I swallowed your goldfish

 * Equivalent code is available from RSA Data Security, Inc.
 * This code has been tested against that, and is equivalent,
 * except that you don't need to include two pages of legalese
 * with every copy.
        -- public domain MD5 source