Dave,
        I have suse 8.1, I like it (although I dont used it as much as slack...) Ive
done one or 2 updates since I installed it last summer, and I havnt had this
problem on this box yet.
        I have however had simular problems as suse uses OSS, which is/was commercial
software, and compiled to only work with the kernel that is distributed on
the cd, when I compiled my own kernel, OSS modules failed to work. There is
also ALSA, which I did download and get to work (this was many years ago...
cant remember the details...).
        On my slack box, Ive compiled the CMPCI driver for my sound (yep, I got
surround sound under linux), but use the original sound drivers under suse (i
dont wanna mess it up!) which means Stereo, not Surround on suse.
        Your situation is possibly related to a kernel upgrade.

Jamie