i see your wisdom. i bow before the master. please don't boot me in the head.

--ed gruberman

-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Miller [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 4:30 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Eug-lug]Clinic tonight -- Door Prizes

Grigsby, Garl wrote:

> i'm not sure what everybody does to their linux systems, but the
> only time i need a bootable linux toolbox (like linuxcare or
> knoppix) it is to fix a busted Windows system, not a linux system
> (-:. i can't remember that last time I completely killed a linux box
> to the point i couldn't fix it with a boot disk. well, i guess i
> can, but that was because i didn't keep a backup copy of my old
> kernel after building a customer kernel (aka it was my own stupid
> fault for playing without a net).

The last rescue disc operation I did involved re-laying out
filesystems on a new disk, copying the data, and reinstalling lilo.  I
could have done it without a rescue disc, but it's less complicated
when / is not one of the filesystems you're copying.  (E.g., tar cf -
/mnt/hda1 instead of tar cf - --one-file-system /, never mind the lilo
contortions.)

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]