On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 01:18:22PM -0800, Kent Loobey wrote:
> Okay, so I want to add a second or third Linux OS to my system.  Do I just go
> ahead and install it and when it asks (it will ask won't it?) if LILO should
> be installed in my MBR, I say no and then boot using my original Linux and
> then modify lilo.config to include the new Linux OS, right?

The way I do this is modify the distribution in question to write its
kernels using a unique name for each distribution.  Debian kernels all get
an extraversion including debian, Gentoo get gentoo, etc.

Among all distributions, /boot is shared.  So, when a kernel is installed,
it is installed as /boot/vmlinuz-v.e.r-foo-dist.  I then have a script I
run which rewrites part of my /boot/grub/menu.lst, including a stanza for
each kernel found with the appropriate options for the distribution at
hand.

That's all you have to do with grub.  With lilo, you obviously need to
rerun lilo and there's /etc/lilo.conf to consider..  I'd make lilo.conf a
symlink to something in /boot though, just to make things easier.  You
might want to use a static-compiled lilo in /boot as well, just because of
the chance of lilo disparity among distributions.  grub does not have this
problem since there is no chance of version skew once the thing is
installed in the first place.

--
Joseph Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                  SCO must cease to exist!

<doogie> cat /dev/random | perl ?
<shaleh> doogie: it is also a valid sendmail.cf
<doogie> :)
* shaleh wants to try it but is afraid