So.. Im having trouble booting an older system. I have one disk with windows,
slack 8, and slack9. When I try to boot slack8, I get this annoying message
about unsupported features and to hit ctrl-d or type in root password (which
boots into single user mode, with RO filesystem.

I can then mount it rw with mount / -o remount,rw
and I can run fsck (both ext2 and ext3 checked out fine...) while under slack9
also...

(ive changed the FS from ext2 to 3 and back... a couple times...) trying to
get it to boot right...

I even used fdisk to make the parttion bootable (which isnt necessary).

I did get the system to boot normally one time, but not sure if/what I did
that made it boot right...

The new Linux anthem will be "He's an idiot, but he's ok", as performed by
Monthy Python.  You'd better start practicing.
        -- Linus Torvalds, announcing another kernel patch