At 08:49 PM 4/30/2003 -0700, you wrote:
i875 = Intel's Canterwood Chipset. Supports Dual Channel PC3200
DDR with the newest 800Mhz FSB P4 CPU's. Performance is top
notch. HyperThreading support starting on the 2.4C CPU. Though
my Asus P4G8X-Deluxe with the Intel 7205 Chipset can overclock
to 200Mhz FSB to support the latest P4's as long as I'm using
the PC3200 to go with it. Thus, I'll be ordering a gig of RAM
tonight.

Those who don't know history are condemned to repeat it?

I wish I had read this one more carefully. When my Athlon 1.3 Ghz overheated and died along with the ASUS motherboard, I should have tried the i875 as a replacement.

But I saw a Fry's ad in the Oregonian for an Athlon + motherboard for only $139.99 and had to try it. This appeared to be a nice, full-featured package. The motherboard even has built-in Firewire ( a requirement, in my opinion).

I don't want to bore you with my character-building experience; but I made at least 3 trips to the Fry's return line for DOA CPU, suspect motherboard, system running excessively hot ( use replacement for OEM fan to lower temperature).

I got to the point where I could not successfully load an Operating system ( Windows would start to load, then spit out a Blue Screen, SuSE would start installation, then get a kernic panic). When I phone Stan Warren, former euglug host and owner of the PC Training Center in Eugene; he said it sounds like a bad CPU and/or motherboard. I believe Stan, so I go back to Fry's...and (with a lot of high energy, mental toughness) I return the CPU/motherboard for a store credit applied to my Fry's credit card.

Now, I have my money back. Still have a case/power supply, a new 120 GB HD, a combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM and a DDR 400 dual-channel RAM kit ( 2 - 512 MB sticks). Maybe, time to try the i875?

Fry's does not have the Asus P4G8X-Deluxe in stock. But, I look on their Web site Outpost.com, and the Asus P4G8X-Deluxe is available, with status "usually ships within one day".

So, do I purchase the Asus P4G8X-Deluxe from Outpost.com ?

I'll consult with Mr O first.

Respectfully,

Rodney