This quote from this page:
http://www.byte.com/documents/s=8276/byt1055784622054/0616_marshall.html

"""At this point I started to think about the public interest and about restrictive monopolies laws. It was almost as though Sontag was reading my mind—and yes, SCO has that base covered too.

I listened to how IBM has bypassed U.S. export controls with Linux. How "Syria and Libya and North Korea" are all building supercomputers with Linux and inexpensive Intel hardware, in violation of U.S. export control laws. These laws would normally restrict export of technologies such as JFS, NUMA, RCU, and SMP—and, (I was waiting for this) "encryption technologies." "We know that is occurring in Syria," I heard, even though my mind was fogging over at this point.

"So are you saying that the U.S. government might file a "Friend of the Court Brief" to support your case against IBM?" I blurted out. "Don't be surprised" was Sontag's answer. """

Leads to the inescapable (if you are an overly excitable activist type) conclusion that in fact
the whole thing is a plot by the Department of Homeland Security to

MAKE FREE SOFTWARE ILLEGAL

this would fit with a number of initiatives on the part of cronies and opportunistic hangers on of our beloved leader, and serve the interests of our (beloved) corporate masters, etc, etc.

Of course making free software illegal might just be a side effect but would fit in with a number of other threats to intellectual freedom currently running loose. Think of how much easier it becomes to implement
effective DRM if alternative OS's are illegal, and linux is classed as a burglary tool....