Thanks for the replies.  It seemed I had a java install from a previous
chunk of java XML something or other I was playing with.  That got me as
far as compiling newsmonster, which uses Ant instead of a Makefile.

Now that I have a .xpi file and tell Mozilla to install it.  When I
restart, it complains that Mozilla can't find my java.  I can't find
anywhere to tell Mozilla where my java is.  I even went to
http://java.mozdev.org/ and got the blackdown java .xpi and that doesn't
work either.  I can try the sun one, I suppose.

Is there an easier way to get Moz and Java working together?

Thanks,
Rob