On Thu, Jul 17, 2003 at 11:03:48AM -0700, Bob Miller wrote:
> Don't feel too superior.  LWN reports eight new vulnerabilities in
> Linux software this week.* ** We'd like to think that Linux
> distributions release patches faster and make updating easier than
> Windows does, and that's certainly true for Debian, Redhat and Gentoo
> (the distros I'm most familiar with), but there are still going to be
> a lot of machines on the 'Net that will never get these fixed.  Those
> machines will eventually be 0wnzed.
> * The new vulnerabilities are:
>
>       apache, multiple vulnerabilities
Runs as a user
>       mozilla, heap based buffer overflow
Runs as a user
>       mpg123, buffer overflow
Runs as a user
>       nfs-utils, xlog() off by one bug
Nfs daemons can be in kernel space or user space
>       phpgroupware, cross site scripting
Runs as a user
>       traceroute-nanog, integer overflow
Not a daemon
>       ucd-snmp, heap overflow
Was the heap overflow in the daemon or in a tool?

Most of these applications run on other systems, including windows, so
these aren't necessarily linux vulnerabilities.  Also since most are in
user space, they aren't nearly as critical as most M$ vulnerabilities.
A vulnerability in IE can trojan a system.  No vulnerability in Mozilla
can do that unless it is run as root.  It is sad how insecure IE is.
Yet, how does one update a windows system?  Through
windowsupdate.microsoft.com and IE.

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to your