Ken Barber wrote:

> Another item that has been in the security news in the last few
> weeks or months:  spammers are now using worms to infect machines
> to send spam.  Same thing:  their worms install a simple SMTP
> server on a 'doze box and the unsuspecting user becomes a
> spammer.

I don't understand why this is in the news.  Spammers have been
enthralling zombie boxes for at least two years that I know of.  But
now everybody is talking about it.  Whatever.

> Since 'doze can never really be secured, I'm afraid this is going
> to be an ongoing problem as long as millions of clueless people
> continue using it on Internet-connected machines.

The Reverse MX internet draft would go a long way toward curbing this.
RMX is one of five or six new technologies proposed by the IETF's
Anti-Spam Research Group [2] which collectively, if widely adopted,
would make life more difficult for spam.  But it'll take years,
unfortunately.

I'm looking forward to creating RMX records for the domains I
administer.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-danisch-dns-rr-smtp-02.txt
[2] http://www.irtf.org/charters/asrg.html

kbobsoft software consulting