I've never seen that.  Which version of Mozilla?

THe only thing I can think of is to traverse to your mozilla directory
and cd into defaults/pref/.  Find unix.js and open it up.  In there
you've got some font preferences you can play with.

See if freetype2 is enabled:
// TrueType
pref("font.FreeType2.enable", true);
pref("font.freetype2.shared-library", "libfreetype.so.6");

You can also play with hinting and other font issues.

-Rob