We purchased a commercial webhosting management product
that runs on RH7.3

It's called ensim, it has it's good features and it's bad features,
as long as you stay within it's limitations it's alright.

It has not saved us as much time and effort as we were told it would,
but then we never expected it to.

If we go for something like it in the future we'll be wanting full access to the source
and at least a 5 incident support package that gets us in to talk to the people
directly responsible for maintaining the code.

The fact that in this case at least most of the code is open-source products that
have been closed by extension (zope, redhat VFS, virtualising patch for sendmail)
makes it even more frustrating that the management scripts are all
.pyc's and the public interfaces are borked beyond recognition.

This is one of the experiences that has led me to formulate my theory of the information
economy, to wit:

1. all software sucks

2. support costs money

3. good support pays for itself

The dishonesty of the "traditional" model of the software industry can be seen
in the fact that bug-fixes and minor feature enhancements are sold as
new products rather than as ongoing enhancement of a supported product.

The only time software is ever perfect is when it's imaginary, code in production will
always have limitations.