>From the looks of the screenshots, it has a sort of "wizard" feature to
help users (er, administrators) create their firewall policies...
one feature I noticed is a drag-and-drop re-ordering of rules.
--Although, I don't exactly see the "gold" in this, I think Bob is
suggesting that security needs to be more *simple* for those who don't
think naturally in iptables dialect... or any other techspeak, for that
matter.

On a related note, I just read a review for Omnisight, an enterprise
log-file analysis framework, in the Sept. 1 InfoWorld (free sub), and
was flabberghasted.  They go on about the impressive performance of the
system, which costs a mere $124K, but don't mention the specs of the
system they run their huge queries on.  The framework inserts logs into
SQL, where analysis is easy (as SQL allows, at least).  What bugs me is
that this seems like nothing -- it requires significant development to
input and analyze any given logfiles (to form the desired DB structure,
then to build reports thereupon), so I don't see why it is worth so
much.  It does seem to offer, built in to the "framework",
cluster-friendly management and reporting... but gah, the basics seem so
free already, and if anyone is paying a couple developers to do this,
plus 1 or 2 salaries for the framework, sheesh.  Shame on them?
Sounds like an easy webmin module to me!!

So the connection is that users and C-class employees tend to be *VERY*
distant from the simple truths they rely on.  Appropriate technology
solutions should be actively closing that gap.

It has a lot to do with education, of course; and given the complexity
of modern-day machinery, we've got a long way to go.  Consider your
average analog telephone -- you can push the hang-up switch with your
finger, and easily observe the fact that your handset transciever is
disconnected when it is depressed.

Now for a fun story, slightly related:  While observing the network
operations at burning man roughly a week and a half ago, there were some
problems, which were somewhat mysterious (Clif might clarify, though) --
someone had some kind of virus or worm on their windows system which
somehow damaged the [debian] router's ability to maintain TCP routing;
although UDP kept working fine, so the VoIP phones kept working
perfectly.  It was hard to figure out, and annoying since the router
apparently had to be reset often (down to every 5 minutes at the worst
times) in order to keep TCP working.
I, for one, would like to see better stateful (and session-based)
monitoring at the router/gateway level.  Anyone have any suggestions?
I know IBM has done a good amount of work on "self-healing" systems, I
think I am indeed looking for something like that -- maybe even a
gkrellm plugin to correlate performance anomalies.  It doesn't have to
be fully self-healing (if that's even possible, aside from hardware
watchdogs!) but should be like snort on a higher level.
Is this application waiting to be written, or is it out there?

Thanks for putting up with another lengthy post,

   Ben

PS - There is going to be a couple security-type events in Portland,
coming up:  the ISSA Sept. meeting is "Anti-spam Solutions: Email
Protection & Security", 3-5pm on Thurs, Sept 18; and the other is "How
Your Business Will Change: DHS, Wireless, and Secure Software" on Sept.
25th, from 8a-12p.  Original message announcements are attached...