Mr O wrote:

> How many are using a UPS on a linux system? What program are you
> using to monitor? I have a Belkin UPS hooked up to my serial
> port but haven't quite found software for it yet. Hoping for a
> little advice before I go about breaking things. I read that if
> you send the wrong commands to a smart UPS you can turn it into
> a dump UPS real easily. Not something I want to do :)

I use three Belkin UPSes at the home office.  I don't have the serial
port hooked up on any of them -- if I'm there when the lights go out,
I'll hear the beeping and be able to shut the computers down cleanly.
If I'm not there, I don't have any work in progress, by definition.
I've watched Unix and Linux boxes recover from crashes thousands of
times (literally, doing kernel development, I've crashed the box five
times an hour for weeks on end).  I've only seen filesystem damage
a handful of times.

Lane Electric's power delivery isn't the steadiest, and before I got
the UPSes, fractional-second glitches crashed all the computers once a
month or so.  Now those glitches don't crash the computers.  The power
has only been off for more than a minute once, in the wind storm of
Feb. 7, 2002.

OTOH, my Belkins did come with power management software for Linux on
a CD.  Did you get that?

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]