Take a look at osCommerce <http://oscommerce.com>, and pnCommerce <http://www.pncommerce.com> which is a cart module for PostNuke. FishCart <http://www.fishcart.org/> is older, but might be something you could build on / customize easily. These are all PHP4, aimed to implemented on LAMP.

No, Verisign is not necessarily the best bet. Entrust, Geotrust and FreeSSL are some other good possibilities offering certs for $150-200. If you do go Verisign, go with Thawte, a cert co that got bought by Verisign but which costs much much less. FreeSSL is only $35, and is actually better than many higher-priced options. You can get a good run-down at SSL Review's comparison page <http://www.sslreview.com/content/table/index.html>.

All this said, if your needs are just for a couple of sites, there are a lot of options for server-side carts which provide the SSL part among other things. (I worked for locally-founded 1ShoppingCart.com for some years doing exactly that). Reply off-list if you want to discuss that further, since it's not really on-topic for the list.

Maximillian Schwanekamp

James wrote:

I'm doing research on what might be the best PHP Shopping cart to use for
an e-commerce page.  So far I've found http://cpcommerce.org/ to be pretty
nice, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other suggestions.

Also, is Verisign my best bet for a secure server to place on the php
shopping cart page?

I'll be using Mandrake 9.1 for the operating system setup.

Thanks

James Franssen