Is anyone using proftpd for their ftp server?

When I type "service proftpd start" is starts, but when I type "service
proftpd stop" it says [FAILED]

I am using Mandrake 9.1

All I want to do is make it available for users to ftp into my server so
they can manipulate their own files.

Older versions of Mandrake made it easy to turn ftp on and off, but I am
having problems with proftpd.  I've checked the FAQ
http://proftpd.linux.co.uk/docs/faq/linked/faq-ch4.html but that doesn't
have anything regarding the problem of not being able to stop proftpd.

I also don't see proftpd running as a service when I type "ps -A"

When I try to connect to localhost after starting proftpd, it doesn't
connect.

Thanks for any help.

james