On Thursday 09 October 2003 01:42 pm, Ralph Zeller wrote:
: Jamie,
:
: Hope your father's ok.

Thank you. He's been better... but then, hes also been worse. Right now, im
happy with stable!

:
: I don't know that much about iptables; there seem to be plenty of tutorials
: about it, though.  The main thing is to close everything up, then be very
: selective about what comes through.
yeah... lots! and most are very long, kind of confusing and dont really help
the average person setup something simple and quick. I remember ipchains was
pretty easy to get a decent firewall/gateway up.

:
: Here's a iptables trick I use home.  Sometimes the win98 box does dial-up
: directly, sometimes the linux box dials and shares.
:
: I set win98 to use my linux box as the default route and DNS server--which
: it overrides for direct dialup from win98.  When the linux box dials out,
: I use fetchmail/postfix for getting/sending mail, but I didn't want to have
: to adjust any settings on the win98 box for this.
thats an interesting solution to that issue... Ive never really used the
windows box to dialup, except to try juno/netzero as an ISP... the rest of
the time I go through the linux box.

A lot of use use fetchmail, I havnt really seen much need for it myself, I use
the smtp of my local ISP, and pop from anywhere... no need to buffer my mail
on the firewall...

:
: These lines in my firewall setup will intercept the connections from the
: win98 box for getting and sending mail, regardless of which isp I choose
: to connect.
:
: Ralph
:
: echo "Rerouting to this smtp server, my isp won't relay from here."
: iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -p tcp --dport 25 -s ! 192.168.2.50/32 \
:  -j MARK --set-mark 444
: iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -m mark --mark 444 -j DNAT \
:  --to-destination 192.168.2.50
:
: echo "Intercept connections to pop.myisp.IP.net, reroute to this host."
: iptables -A PREROUTING -t mangle -p tcp --dport 110 -s ! 192.168.2.50/32 \
:  -j MARK --set-mark 555
: iptables -A PREROUTING -t nat -m mark --mark 555 -j DNAT \
:  --to-destination 192.168.2.50

Nice... If I manage to get some of these linux things online and this looks
quite worthy of the firewall section!

Jamie

: