Look, I'm not trying to sell anyone on KDE, I just keep finding these
really weird and useful things in it.  GNOME is good.  Enlightenment
and fluxbox and fvwm and all the rest are good.  CDE is -- well, it's
okay with me if you use CDE, so long as you don't make me use it too.*

Today's discovery is that you can configure your kernel from within
the KDE Control Center.

Open the Control Center by clicking the wrench icon at the bottom of
the screen, then selecting Control Center from the menu that pops up.
Then open the Linux Kernel Configurator by clicking System
Administration -> Linux Kernel.

It's a nicer interface than "make xconfig", and next time I need to
tweak some kernel parameters, I definitely plan to use it.

I'm using KDE 3.1.4.  I don't know whether this is in earlier versions.

* In a previous life, I worked with an engineer who liked CDE.  We
  would work in her cube, and take turns driving, and both of us would
  get completely frustrated with the mechanics of moving windows
  around and getting the useful stuff to where we could see it.  We'd
  work in my cube (I think I was running some old version of KDE), and
  work would get done much quicker.  It got to the point where we'd
  both agree to move to my cube to do nontrivial amounts of work.  But
  she never thought about switching away from CDE.  It was some kind
  of blind spot.

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]