Two years tops for most of the emerging technology to float or
fail. SATA is promising, Bluetooth isn't going anywhere, PCI
Express will be a reality by mid next year. 64 bit on the
desktop is at least a 2 year revolution but it will happen.
Wether or not they keep the AGP bus will be interesting too.
FYI, I've built an Opteron machine already. For what it cost I
would've shaved nearly $500 off the system by going with a 3Ghz
P4 and some really fast RAM. The performance increase isn't
noticeable to the end user at this point.