On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 10:29, John Sechrest wrote:
> Rsync certainly is a useful tool at some level.

Given that it is relatively unchanged for years, I would say at a high
level. Do you challenge this?

> We are finding that having a NetApp with hourly snapshots to be a step
> above that.

Adjust your cron for hourly snapshots.

> However, the key question to the Rsync process is the reverse process.
> suppose that your host is compromised or other wise damaged and
> you want to rebuild your system from scratch.

What if the NetApp server is compromised or otherwise damaged? Is the
NetApp using an opt-in or opt-out backup scheme? If the hardware breaks,
can you mount the filesystem with standard Unix tools and recover?

>  What is the path for
> restore from the rsync set up?
> Do you have a recipe for that?

Tape.

Or...

Increase your backup window by adding entries to the script.

Best,