Curt,

    This will be a short reply as I don't have much time at the moment;
but I have worked with the Prime Magsav/Magrst format quite a bit in
the distant past.  In fact, I wrote a proposal a few months ago to help
someone recover data from a large collection of Magsav tapes.  At that
time, I was able to find several packages to read Magsav tapes.  At least
one of them even helped with data on Magsav tapes in various Prime formats
- like MidasPlus format.  Unfortunately, none of these were exactly low
cost.  I could dig out my report and give you the names of the software,
if you would like.  Also, I would be happy to discuss the problem with
you if you would like.  Just call me using the contact information listed
at the end of this posting.  (By the way, I spend most of my week days
in Eugene presently.)

                                                      Dave Mandel

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Curt Vendel wrote:

> Are there any free or low cost utils out there for Linux to Read magsave
> tapes???
>
> The STG package is way too expansive for hobbyists and their service
> starts are $400/hr, again insane.
>
> jbase.com has a magres util built into its software, but it appears to
> only be able to restore 1 directory and not multiple subdirectories.
> The jbase.com software is a free download.
>

> Anything else out there more robust and more affordable, if there were a
> package for like $99 or $199 that would be great, but not $3500 from STG !!!
>

> Curt

                                          Sincerely,
                                          David Mandel
                                          Chief Activist