I have a client that is running a custom built website running on (and
tied to) IIS4 on NT4 with an MSSQL 2000 on Win2k backend.

After a few years and a recognition that the IIS4/NT4 platform is not a
viable platform to stick with, he is willing to consider an alternate
solution.  He knows he needs to upgrade, but is not sure of the proper
path yet: iis6/win2k3+mssql2k or apache/linux+postgres or +mssql2k or
+mysql or what.

I am currently looking for articles, especially from research groups
that discuss TCO, support, stability, scalability, or performance of the
following:
iis vs apache
postgresql or mysql vs sql2k
php/perl/etc vs asp

Linux vs Windows is already clear cut.  What MS does and who they are is
enough for this one.  Articles that are targetted towards a Executive
officer are what I seek.  This person understands all of the "MS is
evil" talk, but from a business perspective needs hard numbers that will
save him money, downtime or other headaches.

Here is a prime example from the RFG research site:
"Total Cost of Ownership for Linux Web Servers in the Enterprise"
9/2002
http://www.rfgonline.com/subsforum/LinuxTCO.pdf

Thanks,
Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to your