Um, here I am. You shouldn't have any real trouble booting off
your PCI card. As long as the BIOS sees it as a boot device
you're in good hands. Linux will just see your drives as
/dev/hde or higher. As for booting from SCSI it loads the
drivers during the boot. The SCSI BIOS handles getting the drive
going. Linux just needs to know where it is from there (ie:
/dev/sda). As for attaining full UDMA 100, keep dreaming. Unless
you're striping a couple drives with 8Mb cache you'll never see
near that performance. Kbob achieved over 90Mb/s that way. On
average a 2Mb cache drive will yield about 40Mb/s and an 8Mb
cache drive will yield upwards of 60Mb/s by itself.
As for myself, I'm using a huge 160GB drive and do use lba32 for
booting since WinXP is on the first 30GB.
If your BIOS actually sees 20GB then it should see at least
32GB.  In most systems that was the next barrier after 8GB. You
may just need to 'fdisk' the drive to see how much the OS sees
and experiment.

That be all from me for now. Hope it's helpful.

Mr O.