Now let me finish my thought...

 Try using virtual instead:

<!--#include virtual="/include/nav_main.htm" -->

Using file requires that the file be in the same directory as the referencing file. I
have also had other random problems using file.

Also make sure that the file has a '.shtml' extension and not '.html' or '.shtm'. I
have made both of these mistakes in the past.

Garl