On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:47:54AM -0800, Hal Pomeranz wrote:
> The only thing that worries me about the write up is the fact that a
> "sniffed password" was used to break into several machines.  I have to
> ask why they're not using SSH for all communications to/from these
> boxes and why they're not using something better than re-usable passwords
> for access control.

I'm concerned about this to.  Not only that they passwords were sent in
a sniffable format, but also in a medium that was sniffable.  How did
the attacker sniff packets between developer machines and debian.org?
Unless they cracked a box in between somewhere, anywhere.

> Sloppy work on the attackers' part in leaving the exploit code behind
> so that it could be analyzed, btw.  All you can say is, "thanks very much."

This isn't necessarily sloppy work.  Have you looked at The Coroner's
Toolkit[1] by Wietse Venema (author of postfix) and Dan Farmer?  This is
basically a unix undelete.  The attacker could very well have erased
their already encrypted exploit binary, and tct or even a dd image could
have recovered it unless they overwrote the particular disk blocks.

[1] http://www.porcupine.org/forensics/

Cory

--
Cory Petkovsek                                       Adapting Information
Adaptable IT Consulting                                Technology to your