IIRC, ripped files are .wav, then encoded ones are .mp3 (or .ogg, etc)

You can try running grip from the CLI, instead of the GUI, so that you see
its stdout and stderr on your command line... that might help.

Also make sure grip is running as a user which has permissions to write
where you want (ie, is ~/mp3/ a symlink or owned by another user?).

get a grip  ;^))

    Ben

PS - sorry I'm away from my usual gripping box right now, or I'd pass along
my file format for ya...