Horst wrote,
> Neil, thanks for expanding on this -- I am amazed to hear that the
>crucial info about how my hdb is divided into 13 partitions (ext2, ext3,
>FAT16, FAT32) --fits in just those 64 bytes ... (that must have been
>designed before bloatware, when 32kb of RAM were enough to go to the moon :-)

Well...sort of.  The master boot record only has room to describe four
partitions.  At most three of those are actual user partitions--the fourth
is an "extended partition", which can contain many sub-partitions.  It's
formatted as a chain of partition tables:  The first block of the extended
partition contains another parition table with two entries, one of which
points to a user parition, and the other points to yet another partition
table with two entries...repeat as necessary.

It's not surprising that a partition table entry only takes 16 bytes,
since it doesn't take much information to describe a partition.  A
partition entry contains the starting sector of the partition (stored both
as a cylinder/head/sector number and a linear sector number), the
partition size (stored both as the ending cylinder/head/sector and as a linear
sector count), the bootable flag, and the filesystem ID byte.

>> If you restore to a partition that's too large, the restored partition may
>> mount OK, but you'd only be able to access the restored size...the rest of
>> the space would be unavailable.
>
> That would be OK if there are no other risks?  -- as I recall, depending
>on partition tool and geometry, one doesn't always get the desired size so
>a small dead area at the end is no biggie if there is no other potential
>harm?

I dunno...it sounds like it OUGHT to work, but I recommend experimenting
first, with data that you can afford to lose.

          - Neil Parker