Ben Barrett wrote:

> Is this an "EXTRAVERSION" issue?  I know only a little about this, but IIRC
> if you set the "EXTRAVERSION" flag when upgrading kernels, it will append
> the modules directory name with that, so that you can keep module versions
> separate, which can indeed be important whether you're just upgrading or if
> you want to maintain multiple kernels on a single filesystem...

True.  EXTRAVERSION is set to -gentoo-r2 (by Gentoo, not by me).  The
modules directory is /lib/modules/2.4.22-gentoo-r2.  I'm looking in
the right modules directory, and so is insmod.

The part I'm not sure about is the name mangling.  The module
references a symbol called kernel_flag_cacheline_Rsmp_eb36899a, and
nthe kernel defines a symbol called kernel_flag_cacheline.  I'm
guessing that the module loader maps the mangled symbol into the
unmangled one, but I could be wrong.

In any case, the working kernel (2.4.20-gentoo-r9) is the same way.

kbobsoft software consulting
http://kbobsoft.com                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]