When you say v5, I am assuming you mean SCO OpenServer v5.

1) get ncftp for OpenServer:
ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr5/vols/ncftp-3.1.2-VOLS.tar
2) Install it:

    To install: download, extract the tar archive into an empty directory and use the
SCO Software Manager (custom) to install from media images. Note that many of the
graphical X clients depend on the Graphics Libraries package which must be installed
first. (ncftp is not graphical so ignore the last bit)

3) verify that you can use ncftp:
    ncftp -u username ftpserver
If it connects move on.

4) Here is the cronjob:

0 0 * * * /pathto/ncftpput -u myusername -p mypassword remotehost
/my/remote/directory/ my_file_2_transfer.tar.gz 2>&1 > /dev/null

5) Make sure that the cron file is readable only by owning user.

Let me know if you have any questions,
Garl