On Wednesday 26 May 2004 13:41, perdurabo wrote:

> It's funny that you mention this, because this was mentioned
> last week during the Rainier rescue (RIP). Search and rescue
> folks were slamming cell phones because it gave people a false
> sense of security.

Yup.  Same thing on Mount Hood.  People go up there who never
learned how to read a map or use a compass, and then have to call
for help on their cell phone because the batteries in their GPS
died.  Idiots.

The SAR people are getting a little tired of it.

> I'm not sure why I carry my cellphone. Usually it's to let
> people know I'm ok, or I'll be running past my "must return by"
> time.

Yeah, for what you're doing that probably makes sense, especially
on some of the more dangerous peaks.  I remember a climber dying
on Jefferson back in 1990 while I was camped at Jorn lake.  Took
his partner a LONG time to hike out to a place where there was a
phone.

Ken