Thank you for the thought-provoking response. My goal with iptables
filtering was to either block or forward to a tarpit, a list of
troublesome IP ranges. If any ranges were to be added to this list, it
would be manually by myself, so stuff like UO, etc would never get
blocked whereas perhaps Joe Spammer using a hapless fellow's computer
in China would.

Specifically, I have several UUnet-owned IP ranges which are spamming
us. UUnet doesn't like to respond to abuse messages apparently.
Comcast is also a very, very troublesome source. Although as you've
implied below, blocking Comcast isn't feasible. Luckily, it's fairly
easy for me to whitelist the handful of people we get perhaps 80% of
our traffic from.

My goal is not to block every little spammer, but to block/tarpit the
most serious offenders.

Thanks again,
per